Due to recent coverage in the LA Times, locally and elsewhere, a public comment hearing has been scheduled for Friday, July 13 (at the Hilton in Scotts Valley, 6001 Madrona Drive, near Santa Cruz) by the California Coastal Commission, who is considering a settlement regarding public beach access at Hollister Ranch.
Please send your comments before 7/6 to email@example.com.
So far, more than 600 have been sent, the vast majority opposing the settlement. Judge Sterne will accept motions from individuals or organizations arguing that they have legal standing to intervene in the settlement, in the last chance to legally disrupt the agreement.
The Gaviota Coast Conservancy has been monitoring the YMCA easement issue for over a decade, including the litigation initiated by the Hollister Ranch against the California Coastal Conservancy when they accepted the offer to dedicate after Santa Barbara County refused.
We are reviewing the proposed settlement.
GCC believes that beach access is a core principal of the California Coastal Act and is protected by the California Constitution and the public trust doctrine.
Hollister Ranch occupies an extraordinary location on the California coast, with substantial biological, cultural, agricultural and recreational resources and opportunities present. There are significant public values at stake at Hollister Ranch. We are reviewing the proposed settlement and are conferring with other community organizations and agencies that have shown an interest in this issue.
Please share your comments with us: https://www.gaviotacoastconservancy.org/hollister_ranch_survey
For more, see the recent coverage:
- In the SB Independent, https://www.independent.com/news/2018/jun/28/hollister-ranch-dustup-heading-coastal-commission/
- In Newsmakers by Jerry Roberts: Last Chance to Protest Cozy Hollister Deal | Newsmakers With Jerry Roberts | Santa Barbara, California
- Steve Lopez and the Los Angeles Times have been covering this story for the last month, on the front page, and GCC is mentioned a number of times, including here: http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-lopez-hollister-followup-06242018-story.html
- Hollister Ranch access agreement is a wipeout ... - Los Angeles Times: www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-lopez-hollister-followup-06242018-story.html June 24, 2018 - Hollister Ranch access agreement is a wipeout and a sellout, hundreds of beach lovers scream. Tamlorn Chase paddles his kayak around ...
- California's newest public beach is glorious, but ... - Los Angeles Times: www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-lopez-hollister-06172018-story.html Jun 16, 2018 - Tamlorn Chase paddles his kayak around rocky headland cliffs from Gaviota State Park toward Hollister Ranch. (Al Seib / Los Angeles Times).
- The untouched coastline of Hollister Ranch - Los Angeles Times: www.latimes.com/local/.../la-me-lopez-hollister-pictures-20180615-photogallery.html Jun 15, 2018 - The view from a kayak along the Hollister Ranch coastline inaccessible to the general public. (Tamlorn Chase / For The Times). 1 / 10.
- Wilderness guide discusses access to Hollister ... - Los Angeles Times: www.latimes.com/local/.../la-seib-lopez-hollister-ranch-ac-20180615-premiumvideo.h... Jun 15, 2018 - Tamlorn Chase, wilderness guide, filmmaker, environmental activist, talks about access to Hollister Ranch as he launches his kayak from ...
- The proposed deal on public access to Hollister ... - Los Angeles Times: www.latimes.com/opinion/readersreact/la-ol-le-hollister-20180612-story.html Jun 12, 2018 - Of a proposed deal on Hollister Ranch, a letter writer asks: What good is beach access if there is no way to get there?
- Who gets to enjoy California's natural treasures ... - Los Angeles Times: www.latimes.com/.../la-oe-sipchen-hollister-ranch-coastal-commission-20180606-stor... Jun 6, 2018 - It seems possible to love the Hollister Ranch, and to protect it, without hiring lawyers and a militia of armed guards to intimidate the rest of us.
- The Hollister Ranch settlement is a giveaway to ... - Los Angeles Times: www.latimes.com/.../la-ol-le-hollister-ranch-coastal-commission-20180529-story.html May 29, 2018 - Even with beach access, Hollister Ranch in Santa Barbara County is isolated and would never draw crowds like Malibu, where a détente ...
- Soon you can visit this pristine California beach ... - Los Angeles Times: www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-hollister-ranch-settlement-20180522-story.html May 22, 2018 - Jeff Kamer, right, of Goleta, shows Debby Kamer, his visiting sister, the view of the ocean at the entrance to Hollister Ranch west of Santa ...
- Hollister Ranch owners are fighting the state ... - Los Angeles Times: www.latimes.com/local/la-me-ln-hollister-ranch-20160726-snap-story.html Jul 26, 2016 - West of Santa Barbara is a remnant of old California: Hollister Ranch. The 14,500 acres of hilly grassland, coastal sage scrub and secluded ...